I adore cats! They make me laugh, especially when I see memes online and can relate! Although my cat Lilly makes me laugh, she also makes me very frustrated! After reading and knowing fun facts about these furry little pets, I thought I would share some of my favourites!
- Some cats are born with more than the usual number of toes, called a polydactyl – a lot of times these cats are named “Mittens” or “Paws!”
- An unspayed female cat is called a queen, and an unneutered male cat is called a tom.
- Cats sweat through the pads of their paws.
- Cats cannot see directly below them – that is why they miss the food that is right in front of them. My cat, Lilly, will continue to meow at me after I put the treats down!
- As kittens sleep, a growth hormone is released – that is why they sleep so much. My six-year-old cat sleeps a lot because she merely can! Often on the most inconvenient places like the newspaper, laptop, your novel etc.
- Lilly likes to swat at us as we walk by — one study revealed that most cats are “right-pawed.”
- Cats stare wide-eyed into space when something has intrigued them. I believe that Lilly does this to freak me out at night, making me think there is a ghost or a bat. (I would prefer the ghost!).
- The pattern on a cat’s nose is as unique as a human thumbprint.
- A cat purrs at 26 purrs/second.
- Tails vibrate when they are excited to see you.
- It is so cute when cats curl up when sleeping – this conserves heat for them.
- Cats are extremely good hider. One day, I could not find Lilly anywhere, and I searched and searched and gave up hoping she would appear soon. As I walked by my daughter’s toy chest, she was standing amongst the pile of stuffed animals …reminded me of the scene from E.T!
- Owners must make peace that their bed is no longer their bed. Cats seem to take over. Lilly has kicked my American Bulldog out of her bed so she can make herself cozy on it!
- May as well save yourself money on fancy toys and gadgets, they will sleep in the box it came in anyways…no matter the size
- The bathroom is no longer a private place.
I get so excited when I see Lilly greeting me at the door until she screams at me for food and turns her butt to me and walks away. I can’t help it — I love cats!
Written by: Heather, Veterinary Technician